- Faculty/Staff should follow regular Department/Unit procedures for budgetary approval and adhere to any additional University guidelines for approval over any specified thresholds.
- Before committing any university funds, faculty/staff should monitor and be prepared to adhere to the requirements of local and state governments for their destination(s).
- Faculty/Staff should be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an FDA-authorized/approved vaccine prior to traveling.
- Faculty/Staff should follow current CDC Recommendations for Domestic Travel before, during, and after travel.
- Unvaccinated travelers should contact the WFU Faculty & Staff Clinic at (743) 223-4217 in order to be cleared for return to work/campus and to arrange for a possible COVID-19 test 3-5 days after travel.
- All faculty/staff should self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days after returning from travel and in compliance with the University COVID-19 Policy. If any symptoms of illness occur, then faculty/staff are required to self-isolate, report symptoms to the WFU Faculty & Staff Clinic, and get tested for COVID-19.
- University-sponsored domestic travel, including pre-departure and post-return requirements, should not interfere with work, teaching, or other Wake Forest responsibilities.
- Faculty/Staff should comply with all existing Wake Forest policies and guidelines associated with domestic travel (e.g. Travel Administrative Procedure)
As the COVID-related risks of travel continue to evolve, Wake Forest is monitoring the latest public health recommendations and travel-related advisories and adjusting our policies and guidelines accordingly.
The guidance outlined below is effective on July 1, 2021 and will remain in place until further notice.
What has changed?
- Individual faculty, staff, and students are no longer required to receive pre-authorization for Wake Forest-sponsored domestic travel. However, faculty, staff, and students must comply with the new guidelines for domestic travel.
- Group student domestic travel (e.g. WFU Athletics, student organizations, clubs, intramural teams, etc.) no longer requires pre-authorization. However, groups are asked to maintain a roster of all travelers.
- International travel for faculty, staff, and students still requires pre-authorization from the University’s Travel Authorization Team. All individuals/groups are required to complete the Wake Forest-Sponsored International Travel Pre-Authorization Form.
In order to allow for research, scholarly pursuits, and other activities essential to the University’s mission, Wake Forest-sponsored domestic travel is permitted using the following guidelines:
All Wake Forest-sponsored/funded international travel for faculty, staff, and students requires pre-authorization from the University’s Travel Authorization Team. Prior to undertaking or committing to any Wake Forest-sponsored international travel, all individuals/groups are required to complete the Wake Forest-Sponsored International Travel Pre-Authorization Form.
For both domestic and international travel that is personal in nature (i.e. not funded or sponsored by the University), Wake Forest offers the following advice: